Beijer Electronics (formerly QSI Corporation)

Manufacturer of Mobile Data and Human Machine Interface Terminals.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: G70 Screen Greys Out
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:30 am 

I have a couple G70 terminals that seem to grey out on a random basis. I have one on my desk that I can touch with my hand on the back side of the teminal, and the screen will grey out. You can tell the backlight is on, but it seems that the intensity is maxed out and the contrast goes all the way down. Plus, the ethernet link is dropped when this happens.

The terminal is not mounted in an enclosure, just simple sitting on my back desk plugged into a network switch and a 24V power supply.

I have another terminal that is flush mounted to an aluminum facade. The aluminum is velcroed to a cabinet.

Any ideas what is going on with the terminal? Should it be returned as defective?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:47 am 

On rare occasions we have seen this happen with the G70 terminal. There are certain terminal configuration in certain installations that seem have trouble with this. What we have found is that this is caused by ESD (Electrostatic Discharge). I would recommend that you make sure that there is a good ground connection to the back of the terminal. If this does not resolve the problem please let us know so that we can get this issue resolved for you.

http://www.qsicorp.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:55 am 
What would you recommend as a good ground? A simple ground ribbon from one of the housing screws to the cabinet frame?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:15 pm 

In my testing I found that even a simple gound wire will make a difference. As you suggested, a gound ribbon from one of the housing screws to the cabinet frame should help.

http://www.qsicorp.com