Beijer Electronics (formerly QSI Corporation)

Manufacturer of Mobile Data and Human Machine Interface Terminals.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:29 pm 

I am new to Qlarity Foundry and the G70 terminal. Previous employees that worked with the two are no longer here. Running QF version 2.50 and trying to connect to a G70 terminal via ethernet. Network settings is set to DCHP and I am able to ping the terminal however I am unable to get the program to download. It just sits there waiting for the terminal to respond.

Unfortunately that is about all the information I can supply at the moment. Read a previous post about re-installing network card drivers however that is not an option currently as I do not have admin privileges. Any suggestions would be helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:41 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

Can you post the IP address of the G70 terminal, as well as the IPv4 address(es) of your PC and the subnet mask associated with each address?

Also, what is the firmware version on the G70 terminal?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:43 am 

Firmware Version: 2.5
G70 IP: 192.168.0.101
PC IP: 192.168.0.100
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

I seem to be able to ping the g70 when it starts up but as soon as I try to send the program it stops responding

Last edited by theclive on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:30 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

Hrm,

This may be a tough one, especially without admin rights on the PC. Here are some things I might try:

Check the lease period your DHCP server is handing out. Is it extremely short (< 10 minutes)?

If you have access to Wireshark or an equivalent, check the PING responses from the G70. What is the MAC address on the ping responses. Does it match the MAC address in the G70?

If you don't have access to Wireshark, immediately after you successfully ping the G70, try running
Code:
arp -a 192.168.0.101
and post the MAC address reported by arp. This should be something like 00 03 B6 xx xx xx

Try giving the G70 a static IP address of 192.168.0.101, subnet 255.255.255.0. See if that corrects the problem.

Finally, I might run a "ping /t 192.168.0.101" on my computer. I would then toggle power on/off to the G70 as well as plug and remove the ethernet cable to the G70 and make sure that successful pings correlate strongly with periods that the G70 is on and has a connected network cable.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:35 am 

I will give that a shot and post back results. In the time between my post and your reply we played around with it some more and I was given admin privileges on the computer we're using. On start up we can ping the g70 both when set manually and with dhcp, however once we try to send the program we no longer get a response. Ive tried just leaving it and letting it run however no change after 30 minutes. We have tried giving the g70 a static address, same problem.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:06 am 

I was able to get a mac address of 00-03-b6-00-91-53
Pinging continuously, unplugging and power cycling gives corresponding time outs.

Still get the problem of losing connectivity once I try to send a program with Qlarity.

Could this be a software version/firmware incompatibility issue? would it be possible to get an older version of the qlarity software?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:19 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

It is probably not a version issue with Qlarity Foundry. The download protocol has been unchanged for many years, and we regularly use different versions of QF to talk to the terminal. Besides, according to you, both are using version 2.50.

We don't currently have any older versions of QF online right now. You could try 2.63.

A couple more thoughts. Go into power on setup, and under FEEDBACK, make sure that Video is set to On. You might also consider setting Serial to on, and connecting COM1 of the G70 to the PC during download.

Now, make sure that you have set your G70 up for download, using Power On Setup and the display shows "Download Application". It won't download unless your G70 is ready to download.

Finally, if you have TFTP installed on your computer, you might consider using it to download your program.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:40 pm 

-Tried 2.63, same issue.
-I updated my ethernet driver just in case and no help there either.
-Ive tried running the g70 in both develop and download (trying both with every change), also no go.
-The G70 is powered by serial cable from our Galil motion controller so unplugging it to connect a cable to the computer is not an option.

Will give TFTP a try

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:43 pm 
QSI Support
QSI Support

Was Display feedback on? Did you turn it on? I am wondering if some sort of fatal error is occurring but with feedback off it was not visible.

I don't think this is a hardware issue, but if you have access to another G70 you might see if you can download to it. If you can, then perhaps your first unit does have a hardware problem.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:53 pm 

i did not see a video option, there was a disp (im assuming display) and udp. Currently it is set for Com1 + disp.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:54 pm 
QSI Support
QSI Support

Sorry, you have your set correctly. We changed the format of that section between 2.5 and 2.6, and I was describing 2.6's setup.

I assume that you do see download prompts on the display, but do NOT see any error messages on it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:58 pm 

That is correct.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:12 pm 

It seems to have something to do with the feedback setting. Removing com1 option and having feedback set to only disp. Program loaded up fine.

One point I need clarifying on, in order to burn the program into memory i first load it in develop > restart > change app mode to Run App?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:13 pm 
QSI Support
QSI Support

At this point, I am stumped. Perhaps we might glean some information from a Wireshark dump. You could also send your unit in for repair.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:44 pm 
QSI Support
QSI Support

I think this is enough to provide a working theory.

When your G70 boots up in preparation for a download and you have feedback set to Com1+Disp, it sends a message out the serial port (the same one as on the display). The Galil responds. The response looks similar enough to a download command that the G70 enters serial download mode -- which in turn locks out Ethernet download for the duration (to prevent a race between a serial and Ethernet download).

Disabling serial feedback is probably a good idea if your device is permanently connected to a unit like a Galil.

As to your final comment: If you are in development mode, any application you download is transient and will be lost when power is cycled. If you want to load the application permanently, set your unit to Download instead of Develop. This will download and save the application. It will also automatically switch to Run App when it is complete.