Beijer Electronics (formerly QSI Corporation)

Manufacturer of Mobile Data and Human Machine Interface Terminals.
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:13 am 

Suddenly I can no longer download .bff files to my G70s over Ethernet. I'm not sure what has gone wrong.

Host computer is running Foundry 2.63 and the G70 is in download application mode. Terminal firmware version is 2.433.

I open the download dialog box and validate the target IP address is correct. I select the correct .bff file and click download. The dialog box gives me "Waiting for terminal response. Please attach terminal to the network."

The host computer and the G70 both ARP correctly and pass MAC addresses. Then by TFTP, the host issues a write request for file bff.bff with transfer type octet. The G70 responds with an acknowlegement, Block:0. Then this process gets stuck in this loop - write request; ack, block:0. The file I am attempting to send to the G70 is one that I have downloaded successfully many times in the past.

In the machine, the LAN consists of three nodes connected to a switch. In the development application I connect from the host to the terminal through a crossover cable. The symptoms are identical in both cases. Interestingly, in the machine the host can communicate with the other node (a Galil DMC controller), and the Galil controller and the G70 communicate with each other just fine. It looks like something is messed up in the download routine inside the Foundry software, but I do not understand what it could be.

Host address: 169.254.255.170
Terminal address: 169.254.255.171
Terminal Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Terminal Default Gateway: 169.254.255.0

What am I doing wrong and what do I need to change?

Thanks for your help!
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:54 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

It sounds like you are using a packet analyzer to look at the network traffic. If your tool saves .pcap files, could you zip up the capture so I can look at it?

I assume you are able to ping the G70 from the PC.

If you do suspect Qlarity Foundry's TFTP implementation, you might try using the Windows TFTP command line client (this should be installed by default on Windows XP, but on Windows 7 it usually needs to be manually installed (Control Panel->Programs->Programs and Features->Turn Windows Features On or Off).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:50 pm 

I'll grab some traffic and send it to you, Jeremy. But there is one thing that is puzzling to me. Note that the file the host is trying to download is named bff.bff. I have no such file; I'm trying to download a .bff with a different file name. What would cause that in the Foundry software?

Thanks
M

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:01 pm 
QSI Support
QSI Support

Because the actual filename is irrelevant to the G70. The G70 only looks at the file extension (.bff or .bin) to determine which type of file is being downloaded. Qlarity Foundry calls all application files bff.bff and all firmware files bin.bin.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:52 pm 

Jeremy, I've got a .pcap file to send to you. It isn't large so it doesn't need to be zipped. How do I send it to you?

Thanks
M

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:19 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

Just click the email icon under my name at the right of this post.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:09 pm 

Jeremy, I finally figured it out. The host computer was not responding to the ARP request from the terminal, so the terminal assumed an FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF MAC ID for the host. When the terminal responded to the download block from the host, the host did not recognize the response because the MAC ID was wrong and thus just kept transmitting the first block of the download over and over.

It turned out to be a subtle corruption in the driver for the host Ethernet port. What's really weird about it is that in general when you clobber a driver, the whole peripheral quits working. But in this case everything worked exactly as it should except that the host wouldn't respond to the ARP. I blew away the driver and installed the latest version and presto...

Thanks again for your help!

Best regards,
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:40 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

Glad you were able to get things working.