Beijer Electronics (formerly QSI Corporation)

Manufacturer of Mobile Data and Human Machine Interface Terminals.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:46 am 

Hi,

We are using the handheld to communicate over an integral cable (power, EMS and ethernet), and would like to have the option to switch to Serial communication if a customer preferes one or the other using the same handheld.
Hardware: Is it possible to have one handheld which supports both? I.e., we can make two types of cables, with DB15 that can connect to the G55's DB15 connector, wired for RS232 comm or ethernet comm on the equipment end?
Software: The handheld is running a server application. I believe all this app needs to do, is have both RS232 and TCP objects that can listen for data, and set a flag once the first data item is received. Subsequently, based on this flag, the handheld app uses the TCP or RS232 commnication object to transmit data. Is this the best way to design the application?

Thanks,
Ata

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:46 pm 
QSI Support
QSI Support

There is currently not a way to get 232, EMS (I am assuming this is the emergency stop button), and ethernet all on the same G55 unit. There is simply not enough lines out of the terminal, and we currently do not have any products which use the same lines for a software toggled serial or ethernet interface.

http://www.qsicorp.com