Beijer Electronics (formerly QSI Corporation)

Manufacturer of Mobile Data and Human Machine Interface Terminals.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:38 am 

Hello,

we recently purchased a TREQ-L deleveloper's kit, which arrived today. We tried to connect it with ActiveSync using the methods described in your handbook, which worked only partly.

When we connect the device to the computer, ActiveSync opens and tries to open a connection to the TREQ-L device. A window carrying a message that a connection is being established opens simultaneously on the device, which is good. But a few seconds later, the window on the TREQ-L closes, we hear a short squeaking sound from the device's speaker, and no connection is established to ActiveSync (i.e. to the PC).

We tried to meddle with the baud rate, set it to ca. 57600, then to the default 115200, then to the double, but the result is always the same.

The odd things are: 1) Some kind of connection with ActiveSync is obviously established, since ActiveSync and the device recognize that the cable was connected. 2) We tried to connect the device with a different PC first, and this worked. On both computers, ActiveSync 4.5 and WinXP Pro are installed.

Does anyone know what this short squeak from the device is supposed to mean?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:11 am 

I recall a while back seeing problems where something similar was occurring when I had certain other USB devices hooked up to my PC. (usually ones that also used active-sync, even though active-sync was not configured to use them) After disconnecting these USB devices and unchecking the "Allow USB connections" under the connection settings options of Active-Sync, things started working correctly again. Whether this works for your scenario, we have yet to see.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:43 pm 

Thanks for the answer. I disconnected all USB devices and once more tried to connect via ActiveSync, but I didn't succeed. The symptoms are the same. I noticed that although I uncheck "Allow USB connections" before trying to connect, the box is always checked again after the failed attempt. Any other ideas on how to solve this problem?

By the way, there seems to be an additional plastic layer attached to the display. Is this layer permanently attached to the screen, or is it supposed to be taken off?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:01 am 

The fact that the "Allow USB Connections" checkbox is always checked when you come back to it is suspicios. I have never seen that with active-sync, it is not normal. I would attempt to uninstall and clean the computer of any trace of active-sync and then do a clean re-installation.

You mention in the original post that you were able to get the device working with Active-Sync on a different computer. Are you still able to establish the connection with this other computer? Or does it not work on that other anymore as well?

You mention you purchased the developers kit, so I imagine you are using the USB->serial adapter that came with it? Is this correct? I say this because other adapters have been seen to not be compatible.

Are you by chance running other programs/services in the background on your computer that periodically use the COM ports?

Do you have any other active-sync devices you can test on this culprit PC? Do those other devices work?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:09 pm 

All other devices work fine with ActiveSync on my PC. And yes, the device still works normally when plugged into my colleague's computer. I didn't change the setup, I used the parts that came with the TREQ-L.

But thanks for your help. We decided, after all, that we would just develop on his PC, and the problems with my PC will eventually be resolved.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:35 pm 

I had a similar problem

With WinXp Active Sync 4.5 doesn't connect with the device (Treq M4x), but, after install the device into a computer with Windows 7, the Windows Mobile Device Center detected and linked the device with the PC without any issue.

That's odd, because, we follow all the recommendations from QSI (manual and forum) to connect the device.

i think that's something to look at.

Regards