Beijer Electronics (formerly QSI Corporation)

Manufacturer of Mobile Data and Human Machine Interface Terminals.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Oject Samples
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:47 pm 
Qlarity

I have been reviewing the Qlarity software, forums and documentation if find myself at a loss on getting actual examples on how to use the functions. Your forum is well informative but there are so few posts that it only covers about 1% of the functions that are available. Most of the search result also find no results. Do you offer any documentation that explains the functions in detail ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:26 am 

Some resources you may find helpful in learning to use Qlarity functions:

Chapter 2.1-2.17 in the Qlarity Programmer Reference Manual to get comfortable with Qlarity syntax

Sample workspaces under the /Samples directory after installing Qlarity Foundry.

With Qlarity 2.40 every API function has sample code showing how to use that function under object documentation (see F1).

Tutorial 4 in the /Tutorials directory.

If your really stuck post the function your having trouble with here on the forum.

http://www.beijerelectronicsinc.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:34 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

Well, you as you mentioned, only a small subset of topics are mentioned on the forums. Of course, the forums are only a month or so old. As the forums mature so will the breadth of the subject matter.

It is almost impossible to come up with an example for every possible topic in which someone would be interested. Having said that, we are continually trying to improve our sample code set. As Ron mentioned, every built-in API function includes sample code in the online documentation.

If you select the "Sample Workspaces" option under the Help menu in Qlarity Foundry you can select from a several sample workspaces which range from demonstrating simple serial communication to complete applications. There are even a few games, which show what you can do with Qlarity, even if they don't necessarily demonstrate good programming technique.

If there is a specific topic you wish to see more throughly discussed, please post here on the forums and we will see what we can do.

Also, while the search function on the forums probably won't turn up a lot yet, do try the search function in the Online documentation (F1 help) and the search function in the HTML version of the Programmer's Reference

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:21 am 

You may also find some helpful Qlarity examples on the QSI Corporation web site in the Application Notes (namely the Qlarity Tips and Tricks #1) or in the Sample Qlarity Applications.

http://www.qsicorp.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:54 am 

Forum leader,

My brother posted the first post last night as he is helping me with this project. Many times you have refered me to F1 upon F1 I get Object Documentation then do a search Example "DataFrid" I get a whole lot of Properties with Dim statements. I click on one and tells me data type. Is this the end? or is there more places for me to look under this search heading ?

Sorry I guess I am use to VB6 and the tons of example code. Just frustrating autho a very nice peice of hardware. Did not know forum was so young. I thought I was the only one posting there for a while.

Is there a place to post example code, I though once I get a few projects bug free I would share them with your members.

Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:09 pm 
QSI Support
QSI Support

Well, we have finally completed our work on getting each API function (such as Enable, or Transmit) to have sample code in the F1 documentation. We are working on sample code for some of the other more common objects but there is a lot of objects to write samples for.

I have to apologize. Part of this is my fault. Once you are familiar with how the objects work in general, that summary table on an object is usually sufficient for most of my needs. Of course this doesn't help as much if you are new to using Qlarity.

At this point, all objects should have all of their public interfaces fully documented. This includes the property/method name, data types, any parameters to methods, and a sufficient description that someone new to the object can grasp the purpose of the property or method. If any of these are lacking for any object, please let me know.

There are a few more complete applications that demonstrate how to use events and set object properties available in the 'Samples' section of the Contents tab of the Help window. And Tutorial 4 under the Tutorials section of the same tab gives a fairly complete introduction to the general Qlarity programming paradigm -- handling events and manipulating objects in Code. Once you have that under your belt, the rest of it is simply knowing what tools are available to you -- which is what the rest of the help (e.g. the properties list for the DataGrid) is for.

It would be helpful to know what aspects of Qlarity have been the most difficult for you to follow; what types of documentation improvements would have been most helpful in avoiding any pitfalls you encountered; and where would be the best place to put those improvements so that new Qlarity developers would find them.

Also, understand that one of the reasons we offer several forms of technical support is so that we can help individual developers design solutions for their specific applications.