Beijer Electronics (formerly QSI Corporation)

Manufacturer of Mobile Data and Human Machine Interface Terminals.
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Split Screen Code View?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:15 am 

Is there a way to view two sections of code at the same time. Sometimes it would be nice to be able to rapidly switch between two places. Either a split screen or a tabbed interface lick VS.Net has would be nice.

I also long for Ctrl-L to delete a complete line of code list VS does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:51 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

Qlarity Foundry does not support any sort of split screen view on code. The best you can get is a Ctrl+Tab functionality offered by VS. Personally this is adequate for me although I understand that many people like to have the split screen view. Unfortunately Qlarity Foundry is not well set up for a split view. Unlike in Visual Studio, Qlarity Foundry loads every source "document" in a workspace when it loads the workspace, so a tabbed document view would buy you very little as it would display the exact same information as is contained in the Object Tree.

I need to offer a disclaimer here: I started using Visual Studio with Visual C++6.0, and continue to use the same keybindings, so any key keystroke sequences that I give will be in those terms.

I am not sure what Ctrl-L does with your key bindings (it is Edit.CutLine for me). If you wish to bring up the autocompletion drop list or the function parameter descritpion, Ctrl+Space is the hot key.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:27 am 

The ctrl+tab is good, I didn't know about it.

Ctrl-tab is sufficient 99% of the time. It would be nice to see two sections of code in the same object occassionally, especially when working in global. Such functionality would rarely be used though and I usually use bookmarks to switch back and forth between the two sections.

Killing a line with ctrl-l is what I was going for. I do frequently use ctrl-space for autocompletion. Is there some way I don't know of to change the key bindings in QF? Right now ctrl-l opens the libraries window for me.

Another nice editor feature I miss sometimes in QF is the ability to place the cusor somewhere in the code, then shift-click somewhere else and select everything between the original cursor position and the shift click.

I think making the keybindings as much like VC++6 as possible is fine. I frequently use both 6 and .net. I'm guessing most of us are so used to VC++6 keybindings that every dev system for the next 100 years will leave that sacred cow alone??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:37 am 

Is there a page in the help that discusses all the keyboard shortcuts you have in QF? Now I wonder what else I'm missing out on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:50 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

Well, I guess it is fairly easy to tell which editor features I use frequently as those are the ones that have been implmented in Qlarity Foundry.

Our goal with Qlarity Foundry was to add the most important and useful features for code editing. Unfortunately there was no way we could implement every feature supported by Visual Studio (although I wish we could).

I decided to create a brief list of all keybindings in Qlarity Foundry. You can view this list here http://www.qsiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=70

Your request for shift+left click may not be all that hard to implement. I have added it to our feature wish list -- if it is as easy as I am thinking, will likely be added to a future version of QF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:49 am 

I can't have everything the way I want it?

I know QSI can't implement all of them. Heck I'm just thrilled to know that I can talk to someone, who can put it on a list, that might actually get done someday. Definitely one of the nice things about working with QSI!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:36 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

Shift+Click to select was beyond trivial to add. It will be in the next release of QF.