Beijer Electronics (formerly QSI Corporation)

Manufacturer of Mobile Data and Human Machine Interface Terminals.
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:04 am 

Slider V2 object that is used for a variety of ranges.

Range 1:

max 106000

min 1500

Range 2:

max -1500

min -34000

If I attempt to set range 2 after range 1 has been used the validation function for max sets my max not to -1500 but to 1500, but does not give me any indication that it has done this (until I debug it) to see what's going one.

It would be nice if there was some sort of indication from the validation function (exception) that the expected action had not taken place. I prefer this over logic in the validation function that tries to fix the slider for me.

And now a emoticon for good measure: :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:22 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

Well, you are bringing up an age old debate: What do do when someone sets an invalid property value. As you have seen most Qlarity objects opt to correct the invalid value rather than throw an exception.

There are, of course, long winded arguments for both approaches. However, in your case, I can certainly see how an exception would be preferable.

Of course, the easy workaround in your scenario is to set the min before the max. If you are interested in a more robust solution, you could always create a new template inherited from the SliderV2 template and override the min and max validation functions as follows:

Code:
func max(newval as float)

if newval <= min then

throw(str(me)+".max", "Invalid Maximum value")

endif

default(newval)

endfunc

This, of course, is a bit more work but will provide a general purpose solution to your dilemma.

Edit: Added the call to default() in the sample code. Can't believe that I forgot that.

Last edited by Jeremy on Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:35 am 

You have a good point. I was being the bonehead by trying to put the slider in an invalid state. The whole issue is easily avoided by setting the min/max in an order that doesn't attempt to put the slider in an invalid state.

Maybe there could be an exception of such insignificant priority that it presents a message in the debug pane but is ignored if it bubbles up? Might help a developer reduce the amount of time spent hunting the bug. Just a thought...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:55 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

Well your suggestion is a good one. We already employ it in a number of other contexts, in particular with communications libraries. Next time we do a major object development cycle I will see if we can get that added in.