Beijer Electronics (formerly QSI Corporation)

Manufacturer of Mobile Data and Human Machine Interface Terminals.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Starttype declaration
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:19 pm 

Hi-

I don't know if this is a question or a comment, but here goes:

I have existing declarations and Code in my Globals section, and I decided to add a Starttype to define the states of my system. I wanted to add the Starttype declaration at the top, after my constant declarations, as this seemed like an appropriate place. However, each time I entered the first line of the declaration, "starttype SeqState as integer", the Debug window immediately filled with error messages referencing pretty much all the rest of the code in the section. It appears that Qlarity reads the Starttype line, assumes the subsequent lines are all type definitions, and, not surprisingly, finds loads of syntax errors. I assume this is because there's no endtype line yet.

The good news is that I found a few ways out of the situation:

1. Type in an "endtype" line at the desired location of the declaration, back up one line and add the "starttype....", then fill in the rest in between.

2. Add the whole Starttype declaration at the end of the section where there are no subsequent lines of code to confuse Qlarity.

3. Do #2, then cut the entire declaration and paste it in at the top where (I feel) it belongs.

So, the question(s):

Is this normal behavior, ie, prematurely reporting syntax errors that aren't really there?

If I solved the problem, then what am I whining about? :roll: Well, this may help someone else who runs into this....

--Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:42 am 

If the error messages have a blue triangle with a question mark icon then those are actually auto-doc errors not compile errors. We use those internally and they are not supposed to show up in the released version of foundry, but it sounds like they are. This is not supposed to be the normal behavior. We'll look into fixing that for future releases of Qlarity Foundry.

Thanks for the info.

http://www.beijerelectronicsinc.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:45 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

Well, you seem to have encountered a new bug, sort of. :oops:

As you enter code, Qlarity Foundry will scan it and update the 'live' online documentation.

Now, for QSI developers, QF should emit an error when it detects problems in the documentation -- this can include actual syntax errors in declarative structures (such as starttypes), or errors in the Qlarity documentation meta data. These errors are denoted with a yellow question mark on a blue triangle. QF emits these errors so that we can ensure that the online documentation for the library code we ship is complete and does not contain any obvious errors. However, for non-QSI developers these errors should be suppressed as the error messages are fairly cryptic and not necessarily indicitive of problems in the code itself. I have noted this bug in QF and will make sure it is fixed in a future release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:26 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

I have tracked down the problem in Qlarity Foundry and fixed it. The fix will be available in the next release of Qlarity Foundry. I hope to have a mini-QF release available before too long which includes a few bug fixes and the latest firmware image.

Until then, feel free to ignore any documentation errors (yellow question mark on a blue triangle).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:27 am 

Hey guys:

Glad I could help 8)

It's one of the things I do best: pointing out other people's problems while remaining blissfully ignorant of my own :P

--Mike