Beijer Electronics (formerly QSI Corporation)

Manufacturer of Mobile Data and Human Machine Interface Terminals.
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:55 am 

I am running Qlarity foundry v 2.63 running on Windows 7 SP1. When I attempt to perform a text search across the entire workspace (please refer to the screenshot entitled qlarity-workspace-search.png) , the result is an error dialog containing the message "Encountered an improper argument" (refer to the screenshot qlarity-error.png) and a failure of the search. I am limited to searching within a code module although this often fails in the same fashion on strings > 2 chars in length.

An application restart does not solve the problem. A machine reboot does not solve the problem. A complete re-installation of the foundry IDE does not solve the problem. Uninstalling the foundry, cleaning the registry and then re-installing does not solve the problem.

Other developers at my firm have experienced the same problem with Qlarity foundry v2.63; thus far nobody has solved this problem.

I consider workspace wide text search to be a critical tool when debugging existing code.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may offer.

Regards - Dan

Attachments:
qlarity-error.png
qlarity-error.png [ 25.77 KiB | Viewed 3897 times ]
qlarity-workspace-search.png
qlarity-workspace-search.png [ 11.85 KiB | Viewed 3897 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:38 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

I am a bit perplexed by this error message. The string "improper argument" does not occur anywhere in the Qlarity Foundry source code or associated resources. I can see that it does appear to be used by MFC though. So it looks like something is going wrong inside of MFC.

I use Qlarity regularly, including today and haven't encountered that message before. I wonder if there is something unusual in your project that contributes. Can you send your project to support@beijerinc.com and see if we can duplicate the problem here?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:42 am 

I am not able to send you the source code as it represents a proprietary product. My management will never approve such a request without non-disclosure agreements being in place and even then I' not sure such a request would be approved.

Do you have any sample projects I could download and use to attempt to replicate the problem?

Regards - Dan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:27 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

Try opening up one of the sample workspaces that is installed with Qlarity Foundry. Tried Touchball, by pressing F1 for help, then opening the Contents tab and selecting Samples->Games->Touchball->Touchball

I then searched for _bGreen

And found thirteen instances

Attachments:
delme3.png
delme3.png [ 12.51 KiB | Viewed 3892 times ]
delme2.png
delme2.png [ 6.56 KiB | Viewed 3892 times ]
delme.png
delme.png [ 51.37 KiB | Viewed 3892 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:59 pm 

I did as you suggested with the touchball game sample and encountered the same problem ('encountered an improper argument' error message).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:49 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

I am trying to decide how we can further investigate. I run Windows 7 SP1 (64 bit) and I have never encountered, nor heard of a customer encountering this problem in the past. Is there something unusual about the setup of your computers?

From what I can piece together, MFC is generating an exception at some point during the text search and at some other point is handling the exception by presenting a message box. I am not sure why MFC would do so, as it isn't really involved in the text search at all, except as part of the search options dialog.

Of course as an inconvenient workaround, you could always open your .qly file in any text editor and use the search and replace here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:52 am 

I run Windows 7 SP1(64 bit) on Company computer and it works fine. However, sometimes when I work from home (my computer at home running Windows 8.1) I encountered the same issue. When you search and check "Entire workspace", it will pop up the same error. I installed Visual Studio 2012 on my home computer and used MFC/WinForm frequently but not on company computer. It might be the problem . I will try to locate the source of this problem and let you know.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:02 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

Thank you xkimi. I will spin up a Win 8.1 machine and see what I can find. Are you running Win 8 Home or Professional? 32 bit or 64?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:54 am 

I'm running Win8.1 Home edition 64 bit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:55 am 

As a (hopefully) helpful note; when I check the "Regular Expression" box with the "Entire Workspace" box, I haven't received this error message. If I do not check the "Regular Expression" box, I do receive this warning box. I work with Dan, so I'm just passing on something that I found to be helpful that I ran across.