Beijer Electronics (formerly QSI Corporation)

Manufacturer of Mobile Data and Human Machine Interface Terminals.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Serial communication 232
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:50 am 

Good morning, I am communicating with rs232 serial my terminal G72 with other pc card and sometimes the terminal is blocked. I supposed that the terminal is waiting for data or information and during the communication may there is an error or problem.

I want to know if there is a way to unblocked the terminal. Can I control the communication and if there is a problem pass it without errors. I am looking for not blocking the terminal in this situation.

Any solution ?? Please give me a hand.
Thanks a lot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:41 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

I am not really sure what you mean by "blocked". What it may be is that one of the RS232 communication devices (either the G72 or the PC card) may be attempting to use hardware handshaking of some sort and the other is not.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with your PC card, so I can only speculate as to its abilities and requirements. Here are some possible resolutions (assuming I guess right in my description)

• Set both sides to use no flow control. As nearly every modern device is capable of receiving data at full serial speeds, there is not a lot of need for serial flow control these days. Disabling it will ensure that neither device waits unnecessarily
  • If the PC card requires RTS/CTS flow control, try setting the G72 to use RTS/CTS flow control as well.
  • Alternatively to the last suggestion, set the G72 to use no flow control. Use the SetCTS API to manually set the flow control line to the required state
  • If the PC card requires DTR/DSR flow control, you may need to create a special serial cable or adapter. The G72 does not use the DTR/DSR flow lines. In this case you will want to wire the G72 so that the CTS line drives both CTS and the appropriate DTR or DSR line. You might want to directly contact our support if you need more details on this option.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:52 am 

What I try to say is that the terminal sometimes during the communication jams (freezes up) and doesn't work. And the only way is disconnect it and turn on again.

I search a solution to this problem and not have to turn it off.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:00 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

There are several possible interpretations to "jams" Of necessity I am going to have to dive a bit technical here.

I would like to ask this in terms of a "Blocking Send", which in Qlarity can be achieved via Transmit(COM1, "Data", true). The true causes Qlarity to block until the data has been pushed out the serial port. Normally you would use a non-blocking send in Qlarity. In that case the symptoms might be similar, but more difficult to diagnose.

Do you mean that:
  • When the G72 executes a blocking send, it hangs forever on that line of code?
  • When the G72 executes a blocking send, it hangs for several seconds (10-15) at which point Qlarity continues, but the data is never sent?
  • When the PC card executes a blocking send it hangs forever and the data is never sent?

My guess is still flow control issues. Are you able to fully disable flow control on both sides? Does that have any affect on the problem?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:19 pm 

It is so strange and difficult to describe because when I am simulating with qlarity software and my DSP card (ezdsp f28335) the serial communication is right and data is sending and receiving successfully.
But when I am trying the communication between the DSP card and the terminal no works well and the terminal sometimes hangs forever and doesn't respond (jams).

All setting parameters (flow control, baud rate, ports... ) are the same. I not sure what is the problem.
Do you know if there is a command or code function to reset the terminal in that case ??
Or to check it ??

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:36 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

I tried to dig up the docs on that card, with limited success.

If you are using P12, RS-232 Connector to connect with the G72, it looks like you would need a null modem adapter. You should also be using no flow control as it appears that the ezdsp f28335 does not use any flow control lines.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:58 am 

A null modem adapter?? Could you recommend me one ?
I am using NO FLOW CONTROL all the time, I have this part correctly configurated.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:03 am 

I am checking my configuration and I have a null modem adpater !!!
But may I am connecting wrong.

I am connecting the null modem adapter at the DSP CARD and the other wire's side (withouth null modem adapter) to the terminal G72. Is this ok? Or How I have to connect this ??

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:05 am 

This could also be a performance issue where the processing of the incoming data is taking a long time causing the unit to appear locked up. This FAQ describes some ways this can happen.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=164

Could you send me a copy of the source code of your application so I can see if there is something there that could be causing a problem?

http://www.beijerelectronicsinc.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:03 am 

I could send you the code... but I prefer sending to your personal email to posting in the forum. My application is designed by a private company and I could not publicate it. It is so private.
I lelf you my personal email, please contact with me.

roberto@torytrans.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:06 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

If you want to send an email to Ron (and he was suggesting you send him a personal message, not post your code), click on the link next to his name. That will take you to a screen that has a link titled "Email Ron L". Click that link and you should be able to send him an email message.