Beijer Electronics (formerly QSI Corporation)

Manufacturer of Mobile Data and Human Machine Interface Terminals.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Downloader Error
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:09 pm 

I am getting this error:

Code:
Receiving new application....................................................................Error in download: Timeout on receive (received 137291 out of 137367)
Locking this machine due to ERROR -- please reboot.

I am assuming it started when my code grew to > 128K and it needed a new block.

Is my code size reasonable and should it take it (G58)?

How large can I grow? I am not using any files but I might use a few small (5k maybe) ones in the future. I think my code is large because I have a large list of strings that I decode errors with. Otherwise I only have a few screens and not much code.

Post subject: Re: Downloader Error
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:10 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

Your code size is very reasonable. If I would venture a guess, I would say that 70% of Qlarity applications are in the 80k to 180k range. I have worked on several applications that are 3+ MB in size.

Now, I am not certain what is going on with your serial data -- dropping 70 bytes is a very large number and that is not normal. One of those 3+ MB applications is for a Qlarity unit that only has serial ports, and while the download takes a long time, it gets through just fine.

My first suggestion would be to use Ethernet/WiFi if it is available to you -- the downloads will be much much faster and dropped bytes are a non-issue.

What are the serial port (COM1) settings on your terminal? Have you tried a different baud rate? The recommended settings are 115,200 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:40 am 

My application uses 19200 so I use that. It is slower than 115k but still only a minute or so.

I don't have networking on my terminal. Can I use USB?

Whatever is happening is very consistent. It does the same thing every time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:51 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

I would suggest using 115,200 -- it is six times as fast and generally works better.

If your application needs to communicate using COM1 at 19,200, try adding the following code to your global section:

Code:
func Startup()
    handles MSG_INIT

SetSystemSetting(SYS_COM1BAUD, 19200, SYSACT_DONOW)
endfunc

If you are using a USB->Serial adapter on your PC, this can also cause problems sometimes. You may want to try a different adapter.

Direct USB downloads are possible, however the driver is in Beta and installing it is quite tricky so we don't usually steer people that route unless they want to go there themselves. Direct USB downloads are only supported on 32 bit versions of Windows. You can read a forum thread discussing it here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3909

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:04 am 

Got it. It was the USB serial adaptor.

115200 had serial CRC errors and anything under that was missing data.

This is a new laptop with Windows 7 64 bit and it is harder than it should be to find serial ports that work. I tried about 5 that either didn't install, didn't work or actually BSOD when I used it. Then I found an Advantech 4 port 232/422/485 box that worked fine until I tried the download (the simulation with it worked fine).

To fix the problem I used a USB-Gear serial adaptor and it works great.

Thanks,

jv