Beijer Electronics (formerly QSI Corporation)

Manufacturer of Mobile Data and Human Machine Interface Terminals.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: UpgradeFromFile Question
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:43 am 

I am trying to use this function for the first time and am having some trouble getting it to work.

I have created a simple button called "upgrade" and added the following lines of code:

UpgradeFromFile.upgradeFilename="/test.bff"
UpgradeFromFile.ExecuteUpgrade()

When I try it on my G55 I get an error "WriteUpgradeTpFlash: Invalid image (#214)"

Where does the BFF file get stored on the G55? Can I simply transfer the "bff" file to the root directory via binary FTP transfer?

When I upload the file by FTP the G55 seems to hang and I have to reboot. Is there another way to upload the file?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:49 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

You are responsible to get the BFF file onto the G55. FTP is a good choice for that under normal circumstances.

One thing you want to make sure of is that the file system has enough free space to store the BFF file. (You can check via GetAvailFilespace(), or Power On Setup).

Your code looks good (assuming you actually have a valid BFF file stored at "/test.bff").

I am not sure why uploading the BFF via FTP is causing problems (unless it is size related).

If you really think you have a valid BFF file on your unit, let me know and I can give you some code that could validate the BFF file.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:00 am 

I think I got it working now...

The bff file is 537kb.

I was using WS_FTP (gui based) and the G55 seemed to hang each time at the end.

I did the file transfer via the command prompt. It took a long time but it finally transferred and I heard a beep from the G55. After that the upgrade worked successfully without error. Guess I didn't wait long enough for the transfer to complete.

I am trying to set up a remote upgrade feature to allow me to use VirtualQlarity and VQWebServer to upgrade the software on remote G55 units.

Is it possible to send somekind of notification to VQ that the upgrades have completed or that an upgrade is in progress? Even something as simple as a little count down timer for feedback would be nice.

Am I able to send a javascript program through the interface? That would be a slick option!

Thanks,
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:30 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

Quote:
"Is it possible to send somekind of notification to VQ that the upgrades have completed or that an upgrade is in progress? Even something as simple as a little count down timer for feedback would be nice."

In theory something like that would be possible, although it would require the that we add additional message types between the VQ server and all of the VQ clients.

Quote:
Am I able to send a javascript program through the interface? That would be a slick option!

There is no built in way to do this. However, you do have the source code to the VQWebServer object. You could modify the SendVirtualQlarityHTMLPage function to include additional "stuff" with the web page.

Just keep in mind that it is a fairly primitive web server.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:40 am 

Quote:
There is no built in way to do this. However, you do have the source code to the VQWebServer object. You could modify the SendVirtualQlarityHTMLPage function to include additional "stuff" with the web page.

I was thinking about adding a file transfer dialog box to transfer data from the users web browser to the remote unit.

Cheers,
Mike