Beijer Electronics (formerly QSI Corporation)

Manufacturer of Mobile Data and Human Machine Interface Terminals.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:58 pm 

I am currently working on a project that uses many different modbus registers (around 100). I am using the same MBCom object for all of them, but the registers are not refreshing fast enough. I was wondering if I could make multiple MBCom objects and associate them with around 10 registers at a time. That way only the registers that need to be updated are accessing the PLC, thus speeding up the refresh rate. I have tried using multiple MBCom objects, but they won't work if they have the same serial port configuration.

Otherwise, I was wondering if it is possible to start and stop a register's queries through the MBCom objects so the other registers would refresh faster. I have tried disabling the registers but it still seems like the registers are refreshing slowly.

The registers are located in about a group of 10-15 registers on different screens. I was going to try to put different MBCom objects on each screen, but Qlarity makes every variable global so they still interfere with eachother.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:33 pm 

I'm not sure how fast you are looking to get the registers to update, but lets say you would like them to update 1 time per second, and you have 100 MBRegisterV2 objects. This is definitely a more than reasonable update rate to have on a Qlarity-based terminal.

You need to have only one MBComV2 object instance for each Modbus Slave your communicating with. More than one MBComV2 object for the same slave will cause problems.

That is a great idea to spread the registers out on different screens. Make sure you only have one screen's enabled property set to true at a time. If you have enabled screens that are non-visible that will hurt performance. Make sure the MBComV2 instance is in globals and not in a screen. If the register addresses are close together for each screen, that would help also.

Another thing that can hurt performance in Qlarity is using TTF fonts. Make sure all of your MBRegister objects are using BDF fonts. See this Qlarity FAQ for more information:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=422

http://www.beijerelectronicsinc.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:40 pm 

I figured out the problem. I had made sure that only the visible screen was enabled and I was still having the problem. I then made sure that even the modbus registers were disabled, while this did speed up the program it did not help the overall problem. The problem was with the PLC. It only received and tranmitted data every 10-15 seconds.

Thanks again for your help.