Beijer Electronics (formerly QSI Corporation)

Manufacturer of Mobile Data and Human Machine Interface Terminals.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:47 am 

Hi,

We just received more G70s (GS440, to be exact). All of our previous units are running version 2.4 of the firmware, but these units arrived with version 2.5. I've searched the website, but can't find any documentation regarding the differences. We would like to downgrade these to 2.4, but maybe we should be upgrading the older units instead? That would be a LOT more work. We are not allowed to have different versions in the field, and I would need to do an ECO to release 2.5.

Is there documentation on the changes?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:51 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

You can read the release notes here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=760&p=1367&hilit=release+notes#p1367

As a general rule, I recommend that if your development was completed with Qlarity 2.40, and you are happy with it, that you keep using Qlarity Foundry 2.40 and leave firmware 2.40 on your field units, but when you get new units with 2.50, you simply leave it alone. (Qlarity Firmware 2.50 can run code produced by Qlarity Foundry 2.40 without any problem).

I am very hesitant in general to recommend downgrading firmware below the shipping version -- occasionally we have to make minor modifications to the terminal hardware (usually to replace obsolete components or similar). Sometimes these changes require new firmware drivers to keep the change transparent to the end user. If you place older firmware on these units you can wind up with some unexpected results. Having said that, I am unaware of any hardware changes in that category in the timeframe from 2.40 to the present.

You should also be aware that we will be releasing 2.60 in the near future (next month or so).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:54 pm 

Hi Jeremy,

Unfortunately, we cannot have different firmware versions in the field, for obvious reasons. We need to either downgrade the new ones, or upgrade the old ones.

In order to upgrade the old ones, I need to generate an ECO that itemizes all of the ramifications. Even then, the ECO might not be approved.

Don't you have a document that describes the changes between versions? If not, we will have to downgrade to 2.4. Can we send the units back to you for that? They are still in their original packaging. We don't want to downgrade, and then find that something doesn't work.

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:19 pm 
QSI Support
QSI Support

Well, the release notes that I linked in my earlier post are the release notes for 2.5 that we published (not sure why they are not available for download with Qlarity Foundry 2.5).

If you want a detailed list of every minor change I have made to the compiler or Qlarity Foundry you can find it attached to this post. Unfortunately those release notes are more development tool centric and don't contain many firmware update details.

I did talk with the firmware engineer, who looked briefly at the code and didn't see any changes from 2.4 to 2.5 that keyed on new hardware revisions, so a downgrade should be safe. If you want to test putting 2.4 on your units there, feel free. While there shouldn't be any problems (I regularly go down to 2.43 on the hardware in my office for various reasons), if for some reason there is, you can always recover. The unit has a fail-safe bootloader so that if the firmware ever becomes corrupt or unusable (usually because you remove power while writing new firmware to the flash memory) you can still download new firmware to the unit.

If you do put 2.4 on the unit, I suggest that you test your application well to ensure that it behaves as you expect.

Attachments:
ReleaseNotes.zip [27.65 KiB]
Downloaded 145 times

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:45 pm 

Oops. Sorry Jeremy, I completely overlooked the link to the release notes in your first reply. That was exactly what I was looking for.

I will look it over and determine if I can justify an ECO. The upgrade needs to 1) have no negative ramifications that are not offset by enhancements, and 2) offer some improvement over the status quo.

I will let you know what I find.

Thanks again.