Beijer Electronics (formerly QSI Corporation)

Manufacturer of Mobile Data and Human Machine Interface Terminals.
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Download Application
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:35 am 

I Have 15 G70 terminals in trucks connected to a Radio Network. They receive data through the serial port from a radio in the vehicle cab.

I now have 15 units and need to update the application in each vehicle. Can I remotely download the application to the terminal and then restart when done. I will also need to be able to download firmware.

I know that Ron and I have emailled one another about this in the past, I was just wondering if any new development have been made within the firmware that allow this functionallity.

Regards

Simon Bond

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:53 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

Well, there are no recent developments in the firmware as far as downloading applications and firmware are concerned.

If I may ask, what functionality exactly is missing that you need? It is currently possible for your application, possibly in response to a serial command, to reboot the terminal in download mode and once the terminal has rebooted download either firmware or an updated application. Can you elaborate on what additional functionality is necessary for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:13 am 

I wanted the application on the terminal to self update, a bit like Windows update.

I can only send data to the units via a radio network hence I need the application to get the data from the comm port. I hoped I could then stream data to a file which once completed could then be made the live application.

I hope this makes sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:06 pm 
QSI Support
QSI Support

Ron shared some additional information with me: specifically you have to deal with a specific protocol on the serial port and are unable to receive an undecorated multi-kilobyte serial stream.

You may be in luck in the near future. Something akin to what you are asking is in the works. I don't have the details on how we will approach it, but we plan to allow a update of either the firmware or application via either a file the Qlarity file system, or via an array held in memory. As long as your application is not approaching the memory limits of the terminal this should help you. Please check back in a month or two and I should be able to give you more details on how this will be implemented and when.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:08 am 
Hey Ron and/or Jeremy

How is development regarding this topic going? I am currently developing an application for the G55 unit (of which we hope the distribute a couple of hundred units to our techicians).

The ability to upgrade the Terminal software by a file upload will be a great feature for us since our terminal software WILL need to be upgraded at regular intevals (about once every 2-3 months).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:10 am 
PS: Above post made by me

Rudolph van Niekerk

DigiCore Technologies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:38 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

The feature you have requested has been completed and is in release testing at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:32 am 

Any news on the release-date of the firmware with the download ability?

Rudolph van Niekerk

\o

@\ Fight Gravity

< \ Climb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:32 am 
QSI Support
QSI Support

This is a hard question to answer. When I wrote my last post, I thought we were testing a general firmware release. As it turned out, the testing was specifically for a custom terminal.

The changes are included in all versions of firmware but have not been fully tested. I decided to place the current firmware for all hardware platforms on our beta test section. Please feel free to download and try out the firmware, but understand that it is not fully release tested.

Our beta section is at http://www.qsicorp.com/engfiles/bleeding_edge.php. The firmware will be bundled with Qlarity Foundry 2.43 test build 15.

Open up the object documentation and look up the API WriteUpgradeToFlash. You can also try using the new object UpgradeFromFile if the data from which you wish to upgrade resides in the file system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:19 am 

I see that the Upgrade methods have been released and this is a good thing to have. I'm still wrestling a bit, though, with how to do the upgrade procedure for units in the field.

If I use the "reboot into update mode" method, is Qlarity Foundry the only tool that knows how to feed a .bff to the terminal? I don't think it's practical to have all of our customers install Qlarity Foundry locally so they can upgrade the .bff image on their terminals. Is there a simple standalone app to do the update (or does it use a standard protocol that a terminal program would implement?)

If I want to use one of the upgrade from file/memory methods, what are my options for getting the file to the terminal assuming I have only a serial port (no ethernet)? I don't really want to implement X-modem or something similar and I'd prefer not to have to write a custom comms protocol and external program to shunt the file over. Is there any prior art in this area that can help me?

--Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:06 pm 
QSI Support
QSI Support

Ok, you have a number of options for upgrading.

You can use the SoftReset(RESET_LOADAPP) option to boot the unit to a state where it is ready to receive a download.

The easiest tool to use is the Qlarity Downloader (www.qsicorp.com/engfiles/utilities.php) to download the .BFF file. You can feel free to download the applciation yourself, if you desire. There is no complicated protocol, simply stream the .BFF file out the serial port (once the terminal has entered download mode) and you are done. You don't need to packetize the data or frame it, all that information is embedded in the .BFF.

As far as transmitting the file goes (for use with WriteUpgradeToFlash), you would need to implement your own protocol to "shunt" the file over. We have a couple of canned methods involving TCP/ethernet to transfer a file but none for serial as serial protocols tend to vary widely and be very custom to the particular customer.

Reviewing the earlier posts in this topic, IIRC you cannot simply stream the file as required by the standard downloader because your Radio Network imposes some sort of packetization on the data. (I could easily misunderstand something here). This means you will have to implement the 2nd method. You might want to work with Ron Lloyd to discuss methods that will work for your specific application. If you already have an established protocol and communication object, it should not be too difficult to extend it to accept a BFF (or BIN) file download, store it temporarily in memory then call WriteUpgradeToFlash. The transmitting side might actually be the bigger challenge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:19 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Ok, you have a number of options for upgrading.

Reviewing the earlier posts in this topic, IIRC you cannot simply stream the file as required by the standard downloader because your Radio Network imposes some sort of packetization on the data. (I could easily misunderstand something here). ...

Excellent, this all sounds good. I had read the documentation but it was not immediately obvious to me that there was no real protocol needed for updating the display unit.

As for your last paragraph, I'm not the thread's original poster and so I don't have any packet radio concerns. ;-) I just figured I'd follow up here instead of posting a new thread in case other parties to this thread were interested.

--Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:25 pm 
QSI Support
QSI Support

I should make one point of clarification here:

Quote:
There is no complicated protocol, simply stream the .BFF file out the serial port (once the terminal has entered download mode) and you are done. You don't need to packetize the data or frame it, all that information is embedded in the .BFF.

This particular pair of sentences applies specifically to BFF files. To download firmware(BIN) files via the serial port (and to a terminal in download mode), you do need to perform some minor packetization -- specifcally you need to download a small header and a CRC at the end. I can get more information to anyone interested in doing this.

Post subject: Re: Download Application
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:51 pm 

where did the Qlarity Downloader (www.qsicorp.com/engfiles/utilities.php) go?

Post subject: Re: Download Application
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:56 pm 
QSI Support
QSI Support

Long story, involves the IT department, a speeding bus and coffee spilled on a keyboard.

Ok, just kidding. The Engfiles sub site was restructured a few months ago. Try www.qsicorp.com/engfiles, then click on the Utilities tab. Download QlarityDownload.zip.